COVID-19: Spring Break Extended
Dear TIS Family,
The Greater Wichita community has a presumptive positive case of COVID-19, and in an effort to be proactive and reduce the possible spread among our school family, and in the interest of the health and well-being of our students, families, faculty and staff, The Independent School will be extending Spring Break. Students will return to campus on March 30.
Please understand that this information may change as we monitor local developments.
- Offices will be open and staffed by administration and administrative staff starting on Monday, March 23.
- All faculty will be available through email beginning on March 23.
- All faculty and staff will report to campus on Wednesday, March 25.
- Upper School courses, particularly Advanced Placement courses, will reach out to students on a class-by-class basis to provide continued curriculum.
- All extra-curricular activities and school events are cancelled until March 30.
- Softball Field Dedication Ceremony is postponed until further notice.
- March 23-27 all faculty will prepare for possible delivery of online instruction in case of an extension of school closings.
What this means for Curriculum
Each year, we plan for the eventuality of a school closing due to weather. We were fortunate to have only used one snow day this year, and are confident that an extended break will not disrupt our year-long curricular goals.
We encourage all of our families to explore the learning opportunities that are available to them during this break. Make time for reading, art, and music. Take time to design something, build something, or try something new. This is an opportunity to allow our life-long learning habits to engage our minds and hands and occupy our time.
Early Learning Center
The Early Learning Center plans to remain open at this time. We understand that many of you may choose to have your child remain at home to reduce the risk of exposure to COVID-19.
- We ask that families notify us immediately, with a deadline of 12:00 (noon) Saturday, March 14 if your child will not be attending next week.
- Please contact Megan Richardson at firstname.lastname@example.org
- You will not be charged if you notify us that your child is not attending next week.
- Typical charges will apply if no notice is given.
COVID-19 and Travel
Please take precautions, and as you make decisions about travel plans, we encourage you to stay informed of changes in restrictions for COVID-19. Please use the following resources for more information regarding travel restrictions and recommendation:
Information changes rapidly, and we ask that you check multiple sources to make informed travel decisions.
The Independent School asks that students, parents, faculty, staff, and volunteers who are traveling to and/or returning from CDC Level 2 or 3 areas, or whose household members are returning from CDC Level 2 or 3 areas, not to return to school until a 14-day period has elapsed following their return to the United States, and to obtain medical clearance before returning to campus.
If you travel to these areas, we ask you to self-report via email to Amy Smith, Director of Admissions, at email@example.com.
We will communicate any future decisions in a timely manner through email, social media, and text.
If you have any questions relating to our policies and procedures, please feel free to contact your respective division head or me.
Lower School Head
Middle School Head
Upper School Head
Head of School
Head of School